Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Excerpt - The Book Of The New Sun

NGC3147c

When I had first come to realize, as a boy, that the green circle of the moon was in fact a sort of island hung in the sky, whose color derived from forests, now immemorially old, planted in the earliest days of the race of Man, I had formed an intention of going there, and had added to it all the other worlds of the universe as I came in time to realize their existence. I had abandoned that wish as a part (I thought) of growing up, when I learned that only people whose positions in society appeared to me unattainably high ever succeeded in leaving Urth.

Now that old longing was rekindled again, and though it seemed to have grown more absurd still with the passage of the years (for surely the little apprentice I had been had more chance of flashing between the stars at last than the hunted outcast I had become) it was immensely firmer and stronger because I had learned in the intervening time the folly of limiting desire to the possible. I would go, I was resolved. For the remainder of my life I would be sleeplessly alert for any opportunity, however slight. Already I had found myself once alone with the mirrors of Father Inire; then Jonas, wiser by far than I, had without hesitation cast himself on the tide of photons. Who could say that I would never find myself before those mirrors again?

- Gene Wolfe, The Sword of the Lictor, The Book of the New Sun

3 comments:

jason said...

word.

BirdMadGirl said...

I always long to fly away to the moon...


"Got a sky that looks like heaven
Got an earth that looks like shit
It's getting hard to tell where
What I am ends
And what they're making me begins

I won't be denied this time
Before I go out of my mind
Over matters,
got my foot on the ladder,
and I'm climbing up to the moon"

~The Eels


I'm glad you're enjoying the books =)

Helskel said...

yes,

this amazing,thoughtful,gorgeous,gracious,moody,lovely,starshining,toohottootouch
girl

gave them to me.