Thursday, January 04, 2007

Under What Sun

slush

Under what sun do I walk?
What off light bathes the world,
This unknown, unspeakable color.
What mystery’s glow has found me.

I have begun walking with my eyes closed,
And find myself,
Seeing too much,
Hearing too much,
Gazing blindly into the hearts
Of the people passing in the slush filled streets.

My eyes cast low to mind the ice underfoot,
And my spine prickling
To all the triumphs and tragedies that surround me,
Follow me, precede me.

As my dear friend, Mosaica, says,
‘My third eye wide open’.

Somehow I’ve found my way
Onto the path from Gilead to the Dark Tower,
But no Roland am I,
I carry not revolvers, but a relation,
A relativity to all of your eyes,
Your slow motion tightly held pains,
Your lives of quiet desperation
And screaming nobilities.

The Thinny is rising.
It’s eerie whining fills my ears,
And worlds meld upon this spot,
This light blown away moon,
Shattering firework of some other universe’s doom,
That assumes my shadow.

I’m not asking this penetrating experience
I call my life to stop.
My paraffin nobility serves me as it does you,
But today I am closer without X-Ray glasses.
Today I see you all,
All of you in your cocoons searching for your smile,
Your halfway flights across nations of dream
That demand to be fed
Like the mouths of your babies.

I know you all closer, closely,
Here.

Eyes close and close to an open heart.

I muse, I suppose,
And regret none of it,
And none of you I see.

I’m learning.
Learning that it isn’t the relations,
The partnerships we’ve forged and lost sight of,
But just this connection, today,
With you know who,
Who knows you dearly…

Bare my stare I beg,
And I’ll walk on silent,
Leeward with the wind,
Burning Ahab’s peg.

5 comments:

Helskel said...

and who knew eerie was spelled with two E's??

leomange said...

hmm, looks like three to me...

BirdMadGirl said...

These words resonate in me and through me with an understanding more clear than the reality I currently find myself in.

I'm right there, walking beside you, feeling the same silence as I search and grasp for a common resolution... however painful and fleeting those moments of clarity are. But you know this. All too well.

I thank you for the words, the humor, the hours, the comfort, and the moments in between that don't seem like a thousand miles... I thank you, for you.

xx

Helskel said...

two ease, back to back...leo!


sullen, the reality you understand is the only one that exists.


Helskel, stop drinking that dwindling keg beer, it's deteriorating into LSD.
(before you know it, you'll be talking to yourself!)

Anonymous said...

mad fermentation in the keg... as long as you can still see, it's still a viable beverage option.